Annie White Cross Stitch
An important example of colonial needlework, this cross stitch is a rare and assertive expression of local woman Annie White’s business ownership and success. It was probably made around 1858 to celebrate the completion of her hotel, which is pictured central to the piece. A banner triumphantly proclaims “Victoria Inn by A. White” and “Ann White. Licens’d to Retail Fermented and Spirituous Liquors”. Still standing next to the Bega Pioneers’ Museum, the Victoria Inn is believed to have been the first brick building in Bega. It is the oldest now remaining.
Annie White’s cross stitch is on display at the Bega Pioneers’ Museum.