Kerosene Optic Apparatus
A kerosene fuelled optical apparatus that includes two tanks, a Kitson and Chance kerosene burner and pump handle, all originally used at Montague Island Lighthouse. Originally burning oil, the light source was modified first to kerosene then pressurised kerosene before finally being converted to electric power in 1969. Although the lighthouse was designed by Colonial Architect James Barnet in 1873, construction did not commence until 1878 and it wasn’t until 1 November, 1881 that it was officially lit. The old light was turned on manually for the last time in 1986.
This collection, which is on loan from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, is on display at the Narooma Lighthouse Museum.