Montague Island Lighthouse Lens
The original Montague Island Lighthouse Fresnel lens, with pedestal and clockwork mechanism. Designed by Colonial Architect James Barnett in 1873 and commenced in 1878, Montague Island Lighthouse was officially lit on 1 November 1881. Originally powered by oil and then kerosene, the light was converted to electric power in 1969. It was last used on 9 November, 1986, after which it was replaced by solar powered lamps. The original lens and associated equipment was dismantled and removed to Sydney for storage until returning in 1990 for installation in the five metre tower at the Narooma Lighthouse Museum.
On loan from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, the Montague Island Lighthouse lens, pedestal and clockwork mechanism are on display at the Narooma Lighthouse Museum.