Montague Island Visitors’ Book
As the name suggests, this copy of the original features handwritten entries made by visitors to the island and light station during the 1880s and ‘90s. Visitor books such as these became an increasingly common feature at Australian lighthouses as appreciation of their value as a tourist attraction grew. Montague Island Lighthouse was designed by Colonial Architect James Barnett in 1873, with construction commencing in 1878. It was officially lit on 1 November, 1881.
This copy of the Montague Island Visitors’ Book can be seen at Narooma Lighthouse Museum.