Relics from the SS Bodalla

SS Bodalla ran aground in 1924 while crossing the Wagonga Inlet bar at Narooma. After attempts to back her off failed, she was driven onto rocks by wind and rising swell. All crew and passengers reached shore safely, but the ship was a total loss.

The 166-ton steamer was built in 1914 for the Illawarra and South Coast Steam Navigation Company, expressly for the Moruya and Narooma trade. The twin screw steamer featured special provisions for the carriage of cheese and just prior to her grounding she had taken on a cargo at Moruya that included 1,000 Bodalla Company cheeses.

This collection from the wreck of the SS Bodalla are on loan from Bob Kershaw and can be seen at the Narooma Lighthouse Museum.