Trad’s Converted Hawker’s Van
This converted hawker’s van was constructed in 1906 by Bega coachbuilders Whyman and Brooks to serve as Cobargo’s ambulance, but was only used once for its original purpose. Lebanese hawker George Trad later purchased it for his mobile store in the 1920s, servicing customers on the south coast, Monaro and Southern Tablelands regions until the 1950s.
After Trad passed away in 1961, Bega Valley Historical Society president Sister Bernice Smith purchased it from the local police impound. Retaining its drop down cot and rows of shelving made from recycled packing boxes, it provides a rare insight into 20th century rural commercial activities.
The van is on display at the Bega Pioneers’ Museum.