Wooden Staved Water Pipe
Although something of a mystery, this pipe provides important evidence of Pambula’s 19th century water supply system. The fact that the town was not connected to public reticulation until 1955 indicates that private piping may have been in use early in the settlement’s history. Its age and location of discovery also suggests an association with German immigrant Behl family, who arrived in Pambula during the 1800s.
One of a very small number of wooden staved water pipes in Australian public collections, it is an important example of Victorian design and manufacturing ingenuity.
The water pipe is on display in the Merimbula Old School Museum.